Don't Forget to Renew your Membership
Our membership year has changed due to the pandemic. Last year's membership was extended until December, but now it is time to renew. The 2021 TBS membership year will run from Jan to Dec. You can join on-line or by mail. Follow the link to our About Us page to see all the benefits of joining the Toronto Bead Society!
Become a member of the Toronto Bead Society.
Jan 25, 2021 - Jean Power: My Beading Life
We continue to meet virtually via Zoom. TBS members will be sent the link via email the week of the presentation.
TBS (Toronto Bead Society) and GRBS (Grand River Bead Society) are teaming up for a bonus meeting with a very special guest speaker.
Jean Power is a multi award-winning jewellery designer whose work in beads is inspired by geometry, form, colour and the beads themselves. World-renowned for bringing a unique modern twist to this ancient art-form, Jean is the author of 9 books on beading & jewellery-making and travels extensively teaching her unique designs. You can see more of her work on her website at www.jeanpower.com
Joining us from across the pond, Jean Power will talk about her 20 year journey through beadwork and the path that her design work has taken over that time with photos and finished work showing how one piece influences another.
The TBS Bag of Beads Challenge Socially Distant Edition
Yes! There will be a Bag of Beads Challenge this year. We will mail the bags. Read on to find out more.
What's in the TBS Bag of Beads Challenge?
You will find out when you receive your bag in the mail in December. All we can tell you is that we will include (but not be limited to) small beads, larger beads maybe some crystals, perhaps some semi-precious stones, and most importantly a "stumper". What's a stumper? It is an oh-so-frustrating item that has no hole, is definitely not a bead, and makes you think in new and creative ways about your beading.
How does the Bag of Beads Challenge work?
- Sign up here. The cost is $10 per bag. Shipping is included (Canada only). Please make sure the correct shipping address is provided with the payment on the paypal form. Please Note: If you paid for Techniques night last March, you can choose to apply the class fee towards the Bag-of-Beads Challenge. More info
- Step 2.
- Wait patiently until December to receive your bag.
- Step 3.
- Create your design during December and January (see rules below). It does not have to be a piece of jewellery, it can be anything!
- Step 4.
- Show your work at the February TBS meeting, finished or not. You can tell us your inspiration, the techniques used and what you learned from the experience! Then marvel at the incredible variety of interpretations of the TBS Bag of Beads Challenge by members.
There are only three rules:
- You must use at least ONE of everything in the bag (including the stumper).
- You can add anything you like: beads, wire, shells, kitchen sink, or any other thing you want to add.
- Bring your work to the meeting in February, finished or not, to share with everyone
If you are a beginner and a bit intimidated by the challenge, remember one thing, EVERYONE who has participated in this challenge was a BEGINNER at one time. This is a fun opportunity to challenge yourself, and just maybe surprise yourself!
Remember, there are only a limited number of bags available!
Take a look at what members did in previous years: Bead Challenge Galleries.
Photos Photos Photos
A big Thank you goes out to all our past, present and future photographers!
Thank you to all the people who brought in their work. See your photos below!
View the full TBS Photo Gallery.
|Wed Feb 10 @ 7:00PM |
TBS Meeting: Bead Challenge Reveal